Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Snow day

Snow day
Acrylic on canvas
8"x8"
SOLD

I've painted this composition many times before but there's something about its simplicity and the way it depicts the stark landscape of Vermont in winter that I find compelling. For me, it's helpful to paint the same subject repeatedly. The more familiar I am with a subject and the more I internalize the outer representative characteristics of it, the more spontaneous and interpretive the painting becomes. I can let go of the details and focus on the overall effect. In other words, I can let the painting breathe.

3 comments:

Caroline Simmill said...

Beautiful painting Steven you have captured the cold bleakness of winter perfectly.

Christina WeiƟ said...

Awesome work!

Julia Wright said...

Your work is stunning. I was recently awarded the Liebster Award and part of it is paying it forward by nominating others. I nominated you. Please visit my blog for more details.

http://ramblinggallivantinggirl.blogspot.com/2012/12/liebster-award.html