Saturday, May 1, 2010

Morning- river

Morning- river
Oil on cradled panel
8"x8"x.75"
SOLD

If people ask for painting tips (and only if they ask) I always tell them to use the largest brush possible to get the job done. Nothing new there but the operative word is "possible." With this painting I used smaller brushes than usual because I wanted to get a more impressionistic, broken stroke look. What I like about the end result is that the scene goes back in space while at the same time the surface has a certain tension. I'm not sure how to explain it but I like an image that feels stretched tight like a drum. Anyone have a better way of saying this?

7 comments:

john said...

Nice piece, I would say you have accomplished it. I like the definition in the green spruce that pulls you in.

Anonymous said...

what is a cradled panel?

I like the painting.

Steven P. Goodman said...

A cradled panel is a flat panel that has been mounted onto a wooden framework. This particular one is manufactured by Dick Blick.

spottedroo said...

Really like this one. To me it gives the impression of the surface of a small pond, with many tiny ripples breaking up the surface.

carmackart said...

I haven't checked in in a little while. Nice piece!

Arti said...

I like your strong brushwork...very nice painting,Steven.

Don Gray said...

Nice painting, Steven. I like the tension you create by exploring painting as physical object versus painting as illusion. Not an easy thing to do, and you do it well.