Sunday, December 13, 2009

Road with cone

Road with cone
Acrylic on panel
8"x8"
SOLD

If you look at the last five or six posts you'll see a wide variety of abstraction, mainly due to the size of the brushes that I used. It's fairly simple, the larger the brush, the less detail. But even with smaller brushstrokes some serve to describe the subject and others exist on the picture plane, a sort of decoration or ornament to the main subject. Working small allows me to explore these issues with the end goal being a consistent style but knowing how I work, how I swing from one challenge to another, I suspect it will be a while before I can say I have anything like a consistent approach. And anyway, how important is it to be consistent? I think it's more important to be learning, to be growing, rather than just doing what's worked in the past.

6 comments:

spottedroo said...

I like this one a lot. The balance of abstraction and representation works really well here, as does the spot of orange against the green. Have you always worked small?

Robin said...

I love the feel of this one...such movement and great colors...Nice work..!!

Candy Barr said...

Nice arrangement Steven of negative space and composition! Looking forward to your winterscapes!

Sheila Vaughan said...

Love the tension the cone and the tree on the right create - a bit like a piece of elastic stretching the image. Totally agree on continuously questioning and trying different ways to express our own voice. I get bored anyway just sticking with what's worked in the past.

Don Gray said...

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts, Steven. And by the way, this is a terrific painting.

Antonio Barrera said...

Really good, congratulations!