Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Chambly Canal #4
Acrylic and oil on panel
8"x8"
SOLD

Here's a third painting from my Chambly Canal series. I like the way the bridge frames the image, cropping the scene into a horizontal format.

Last week I came across a book on American impressionism and while I knew some of the artists in it (Hassam, Chase, Twachtman), I was surprised by how many were unknown to me. Also, I had never heard of the group, 10 American Painters, which was active at the beginning of the 20th century. According to Wikipedia, "The Ten were J. Alden Weir, John Henry Twachtman, Robert Reid, Willard Metcalf, Frank Weston Benson, Edmund Charles Tarbell, Thomas Wilmer Dewing, Joseph DeCamp, and Edward Simmons. When Twachtman died in 1902, William Merritt Chase joined in his place."

It's interesting to see how these painters absorbed the lessons of french impressionism without abandoning their academic training. Now I'm wondering if I was asleep in my art history class when "the ten" were covered. Or maybe they were just overlooked. Anyone else heard of them?

3 comments:

Suzanne McDermott said...

Absolutely love this one!

Gretchen Kelly said...

There is no question that I was asleep in Art History class. But thanks for the notation of this - I will now check them out. I have, however, heard of the Canadian -Group of Seven.

Hélène Glehen said...

I've heard of Thomas Dewing and of his wife Maria Oakey Dewing also a painter. They settled for a time in Giverny near Claude Monet. Some of their works are in the American Museum in Giverny (now Musée des Impressionnismes : http://www.maag.org/

Hope this helps